One of our earliest memories of our founder and father, Robert A. Weingartner was his hobby of planting, growing and selling Gladiolas. He grew them in a field on the farm where we grew up. From those Glads, his love and knowledge of flowers was cultivated, eventually, leading to the building of our greenhouse, enabling him to grow and sell a variety of plants and flowers all year round.
While maintaining the greenhouse, he pursued a career as a full service florist, opening Cunningham and Weingartner’s in 1933 with his partner, Thomas J. Cunningham. They worked together for twenty-five years or so in downtown New Castle, PA, until Mr. Cunningham retired.
In the mid 1950’s, our father opened The Garden Corner at the corner of Rt. 18 and Maitland Lane in Neshannock Twp, where he sold lawn and garden supplies. Although we have maintained that location as our “main store”, our product offerings have been, and continue to be, an ever-changing mix of goods and services.
In the early 1970’s, we (sons George and Tom) joined the business, and the florist division was moved from our downtown location to our current location. Giftware was added, and our business name was changed to Weingartner Flowers and Gifts. The greenhouse was taken down, and completely rebuilt and enlarged, and mall/plaza stores were opened (2 in neighboring cities and 2, downtown).
More recently, our offerings have expanded to include home, garden and fashion accessories, and our greenhouse has been updated yet again, making it more “customer friendly”, as the “homegrown/organic” craze continues to drive the gardening market. At the end of 2013, in an effort to take some time to smell the roses, we made a decision to no longer offer the full service florist division of our business, throwing ourselves into “reinvention mode” yet again. Just as our father embraced this business model, so do we, as we look forward to serving this community for many years to come.